Content Management Solutions
A content management system (CMS) helps make managing a website accessible and practical, especially for those who don’t consider themselves “techy.” When it comes to choosing a CMS, there are a lot of options. At Partnered Solutions IT, we normally recommend one of three different CMS’s: Craft for its seemingly endless customization, Magento for those needing a robust e-Commerce platform or WordPress for its accessibility and ease of use. There are a many, many others out there that we don’t typically recommend but with which we can help nonetheless.
Why is a CMS needed?
Businesses often look into a CMS for their website when they have a lot of content to manage, consistent formatting is critical across numerous pages, and they want to delegate regular site maintenance to a member of their staff who isn’t necessarily up to speed with the latest coding languages. Today, content management systems are a necessity for running a successful website.
Content Management Systems We Love
Craft is a great CMS that was developed as a content first CMS by the ExpressionEngine add-on developers Pixel & Tonic. Craft gives you the tools you need to design and develop an inviting and intuitive website that is not only functionally enjoyable but also easy to manage and capable of growing with your business. The amount of optimization that can be tailor coded into the Craft CMS is nearly unmatched. With Craft’s Search Engine Optimization (SEO) capabilities, your website will dazzle the eye, impress Google’s ranking bots and give you the controls to guide your business to the top!
- The wonderful Craft CMS is a sandbox. There is a ton of functionality built into it, but unlike WordPress, none of it is forced upon you. You pick and choose the capabilities you want and with the help of an experienced web development team, your ideal site will be crafted (get it?!) to your needs!
- Craft allows you to work in real-time, quickly transitioning between previews and publishing of content. You know exactly what your changes will look like on the face or front end of your website before you make them.
- From custom fields, allowing you to tailor your user interface to better meet your needs and experience level, to its drag and drop entries system, there is no easier CMS for a person or business new to website building to learn and really make their own.
- With Craft’s handy dandy Matrices, we can set up interface blocks which allow you to build your own pages! This ensures that your pages and designs won’t break due to inexperience or user error.
- There is no development wall with Craft. If you want it, we can build it. You aren’t locked into a certain set container or design due to its use of PHP as the underlying programming language.
- Craft is not a hosted solution like Squarespace or Wix, so our clients have a lot more control. Since we have access to the source code, we can do so much more with Craft than most out of the box solutions.
- Check out the beautiful site we built for Basically Brandy Photography using Craft.
Magento is one of the most robust and popular e-commerce content management systems in the world. More than 20% of the top 100,000 e-commerce websites are built with some form of Magento. Magento is perfect for you if: you are looking to grow your business and your offerings, you have a product line of 100+ items, or you want to compete on the big stage with the likes of Amazon, Sony, and EBay!
- Magento has one of the largest feature lists you will find in terms of e-commerce platforms. That is why all of the biggest e-commerce companies out there use Magento, and companies like ours work every day to better our Magento development skills.
- Magento has fantastic marketing and conversion tools including: coupon codes, customer groups, product bundling, newsletter management, cart reminders and catalogue management based on season and holidays. Seriously, Magento has a ton of e-commerce tools.
- The Magento user interface is reasonably simple to learn and allows you to better manage your online store and offerings. Once properly set up to meet your needs, everything is consolidated in the navigation menu such as customer lists, products, product categories, promotions, sales and receipt reports.
- We built the e-commerce site for Synergy Brewing Systems using Magento.
WordPress is the most popular CMS on the internet with a slight majority of all websites using WordPress for their CMS. The little blogging tool has grown to become one of the largest open source projects of all time. WordPress is great for small businesses that want to make their presence known, get their information out there and have some SEO ability that won’t break the bank.
Think of building a website like building a home. Craft is used to build your dream home from the ground up whereas using WordPress is like buying a pre-built home. You don’t get to decide how big the rooms are or where the windows go, but you get to decide on the paint and style of doors and whether said windows are sliding or swinging. What is it about WordPress that has really driven its growth since 2003?
- WordPress has tens of thousands of plugins, widgets and themes. With the help of a skilled developer like the ones at Partnered Solutions IT, we can take that boring floor plan and really make these sites custom to you and your business.
- WordPress themes are easy to work with which means our production times are shorter which means more savings for you!
- Price, you really can’t beat WordPress when it comes to pricing.
- There is an absolute wealth of online help and knowledge. Although WordPress doesn’t have a dedicated support staff, they do have robust FAQ pages, an enormous online community, as well as WordCamps. WordCamps are free/low cost events that happen all around the world to gather and educate WordPress users.
- We built the sites for Bill Teaches Guitar, Chula’s Restaurant and Cantina and RGS Contracting using WordPress.